Updated as of 3/20/2020
Dear STREB Community,
After closing the doors to SLAM on March 15 to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19, we began creating our remote engagement plans to bring the ACTION to you. We come to you now with more information on these initiatives as well as some important announcements and updates:
- We will be moving our Action Maverick Award Benefit on May 11, 2020 to the virtual space. While we won’t be able to celebrate our honoree, Joshua Ramus, in person, we are still planning remote festivities and need your support now more than ever. Please stay tuned for information about our online auction, how to join us virtually, and how to support our signature fundraising event of the year as we navigate these uncertain times, and support the live, action-filled future beyond all this.
- Our Home Season performances at SLAM, originally scheduled for May 1-17, are postponed to a date TBD, but stay tuned for how our Action Heroes will be activating the digital space with pop up virtual dances in the meantime.
- Our classes and programming are going remote! Students enrolled in the spring semester will receive direct information about how to access their class materials, so watch your inboxes. If you don’t receive an email, check your spam folders or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your email address. Additionally, we will be offering a schedule of classes and virtual events to the public. Watch our STREB Remote page and follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the schedule and other ways to engage with us virtually during this time.
As artists who thrive on performing and teaching live and in person, we do expect some technical bumps and adjustments along the way, and ask you to enjoy these moments as we all transition to the virtual space. We will continuously learn and improve our approach every day. We’re in this together, so thank you for your patience and understanding as we bring you #STREBRemote #HeroesWeNeed #ACTION@Home.
Christine Chen, Executive Director
Updated as of 3/16/2020
Dear STREB Community,
With the closing of the public schools until at least April 20, SLAM will also remain closed until then in our ongoing support to contain the spread of COVID-19. We had already begun moving creatively and boldly towards remote learning capabilities last week, and will be working hard over this week to continue to enhance our online curriculum, which we will be producing and rolling out starting Monday, March 23 for our students.
Now, more than ever, we need to stay healthy and take care of our bodies, minds and spirits. Fear and anxiety are spreading as quickly as the virus, and we as creative artists are committed to helping our community stay present, grounded and empowered through this uncertain time. We are hoping to continue to take leadership in the community to live life fully and artistically, while using common sense to stay safe and healthy. Though this virus might put some physical distance between all of us, let this be an opportunity to continue to investigate the inspiring principles and spirit of STREB safely in the ways we can during this time. We hope you will continue to join us for the remote classes we will be rolling out for our students. In addition to the classes we will be offering online to our enrolled students, we also aim to increase our public online presence in the coming weeks to engage our global community. We all need inspiration and super heroes at this time. We hope you will follow and engage with us on Facebook and Instagram.
We anticipate a large financial impact on our organization caused by program cancellations and potential performance delays due to the COVID-19 crisis, and hope to maintain steady employment for our dancers, faculty and staff who are financially vulnerable. We know that this crisis is impacting everyone in so many ways, and our first thoughts go towards anyone who is sick, or is caring for a loved one who is sick. If you are able,
please consider making an additional donation to STREB so we can continue to work to bring our groundbreaking work to you during this difficult time period.
Thank you for your continued patience and support as we navigate these uncertain times of the Coronavirus. We will strive to open the doors to SLAM as soon as it is safe to do so.
Christine Chen, Executive Director
Updated as of 3/12/2020
SLAM Temporary Closure and Suspension of Programming Effective March 13
We have been monitoring the updates regarding COVID-19 very closely and though there is still much uncertainty, STREB has decided to proactively act on what we think is best for the health and safety of our community. We have decided to suspend all programming starting Friday, March 13 – Sunday, March 22. At this time, we hope to resume classes in some way on Monday, March 23, though we will continue to monitor the situation and update you accordingly on our plans. We will now also plan to offer programming during our previously scheduled spring break (April 9-19) as a makeup for next week. Of course we will remain in close communication with you about any further changes as things develop.
Prior to this closure, we had implemented, and will continue to practice an enhanced cleaning protocol, and we will continue to monitor local, state, federal and world health organizations for the latest updates and guidance. While we don’t have any confirmed cases connected to SLAM, we believe that we must do all that we can to ensure a safe and healthy environment for our community. We look forward to soon announcing our plans, and are eager to welcome back everyone to SLAM.
Please continue to watch this page, www/streb.org/updates
for the most up to date information regarding programming.
Our staff will be working remotely, so please reach out via email to be in touch with your questions.
Thank you for continued patience and support as we and the world continue to navigate these uncharted waters.
Updated as of 3/10/2020
Dear STREB Community,
We are continuing to monitor updates from the New York City government, including the Health Department and the Office of Emergency Management, as well as the CDC to be sure we – and you – have up-to-date information regarding COVID-19. As we communicated to our staff, students and families last week, we will continue to update you, on the ever-evolving situation, and about everything we are doing here to take proper precautions to make sure everyone feels safe.
All of our programs are continuing as scheduled, but we are again emphasizing to our staff and community to:
- Stay home if you are feeling sick and monitor your symptoms. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Continue to be vigilant and wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch your face—nose, mouth, or eyes.
- Get a flu shot. While the flu shot will not protect you from COVID-19, it will help prevent the flu which has similar symptoms to this coronavirus.
We have positioned hand sanitizer throughout the space and have posted helpful signs around SLAM to remind everyone about the things you can do to help protect yourselves and our community against the Coronavirus. Again, in addition to the regular professional cleaning schedule we already have in place, given the current situation, we have increased our day-to-day cleaning protocols to include a more frequent cleaning and sanitization of our mats and other frequently touched surfaces and equipment.
We will continue to keep you informed if anything changes, and you can check www.streb.org/important-updates for the most up to date information about any changes to our programming. You can also reference www.nyc.gov/health/coronavirus for updates and other helpful information.