“From the STREB office perched above the bathrooms, I can look up and see humans aged from 4 to 49-years-old, flying into a catcher’s hands from the trapeze bar. Look down every afternoon between 3.30 and 7.00, and I see what Jane Jacobs called the ‘intricate sidewalk ballet’ of urban life. Parents and guardians come to watch kids, delivery people stay to see what’s going on; young people and dancers bring their friends and during classes, the parents/guardians form a sub-culture that churns along the sidelines. In a week, over 400 kids plus their guardians appear. On weekends and evenings, adults and children alike return to SLAM for birthday parties.”
STREB's education and access programs include
* The POP ACTION School which encompasses KidAction (programs for children ages 2 to 11), KidsCompany (comprised of advanced students who are given additional choreographic and performance opportunities), TeenAction, adult classes, a summer camp and a scholarship program;
* The Streb/España Trapeze Academy with classes for all ages and skill level focusing on the goal of encouraging participants to experience the exhilaration of aerial movement;
* Community Partnerships with the Greenpoint YMCA’s KIDS IN CONTROL program for at-risk neighborhood youth, PS 147 in Bushwick, Brooklyn and PS 84 in Williamsburg, the El Puente Community Center and local businesses;
* The Action Opportunity Program, a work/study mentoring program in all areas of performance, production and management for participants of all ages;
* Rental Program, providing space to individual artists upwards of 50 hours a week.
For more information, please Contact Us.